Friday, July 25, 2014

Assuming too much I guess...

The Economist had a "great" little blurb the other day regarding burger chain competitions in the 1980s. 

Original source. 

In summary, A&W restaurants tried to challenge McDonald's Quarter Pounder (or as Vincent Vega would say "Royale") with a third pound burger that cost less and had better taste reviews. They failed miserably. Their failure? They assumed the public would know 1/3 of a pound was greater than 1/4 of a pound. Consumers felt ripped off because they were getting "less" with the A&W burger. "Less" because the 3 in one-third is a lower number than the 4 in quarter. Fractions fail. 

I am guessing these are the same folks that continuously trend towards voting down school district tax increases. (Not that I am for tax increases - but I think there needs to be some emphasis on renewed 3rd grade curriculum for folks.) 

Any way you cut it, it is a sad indictment on our society's education level. I just need to remember to have a fifth-pound burger if I ever open a restaurant. 

No comments:

Post a Comment